Thursday, July 08, 2004

SequoiaView your hard-disk

When it comes to managing the files on my disk, I prefer to be reactive than proactive. I put all my files on the desktop*, keep them there, till my profile bloats and boot-up time becomes unbearable (once i had to wait 4 hours for my machine to bring up the Windows Logon dialog!) and then move those files to a folder under root, with an appropriate name like "DesktopAsOn07Jul2004" never to be seen/accessed/checked again (well, that is a slight exaggeration, I do occasionally go through those folder, then again, often when I need to free up space and am looking for those downloads that I ought to allow the priviledge of staying on...)

And, so the other day, I found that I was left with just 2 MB on my 40 Gig drive. And, instead of running of to buy the next drive, I decided to free some bytes.
I have been a user of i-disk for quite some time now. It presents a neat, sorted by size, graphical view of the folder structure on the disk.
But I realised that this task needed something else. I was looking for a "relative" size search/display utility.

Enter SequoiaView. And it gave an entirely different perspective to locating those gargantuan files. Agreed, the same thing can be achieved easily by doing a size search for *.* where size > 50 MB or so. But, this search lacks the "relative" aspect. How will I get the top 10 files sorted descending by size?

Windows search as of today doesn't provide comparitive search features. It might be possible in Longhorn withWinFS and its SQL like syntax. But for today, we need to rely on other utilities.

What does SequoiaView do? It presents a box like view of the files on the disk. The bigger the box, the larger the file. As simple as that :). The only disadvantage with the version I had was, the diagram was static. A refresh had to be done manually to redraw the blocks. All in all, a great tool for those times when you need a gig of space desperately...
(Endnote: I managed to free up 8G (thats 20% ;)) of space after about 20 minutes...(Hey, come on, you need time to decide what to delete, what to keep! If it would have been that simple, wouldn't have been there in the first place, right? ;) )

* I am convinced that this is a common practice, otherwise why would FireFox also prefer to save downloaded files by default to the Desktop and list this behaviour as a feature!! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment